Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Spring Break and Baseball

I have a ticket to London 10 days from now. They don’t call it Spring Break over here, no no… this country isn’t afraid of offending people for mentioning the fact that religion exists. This is Easter Break… and it last for A MONTH.

Thursday the 13th UEA is hosting an early Saint Patrick’s day party. I’m hesitant to go, seeing as I’m already going to ANOTHER early Saint Patrick’s day event, and then going to real Saint Patrick’s Day. I’ll keep you updated on what I decide to do.

The night of Friday the 14th is the American Embassy’s Saint Patrick’s Day celebration, where my flatmate Dom is has been invited to play bagpipes. He got me on the guest list shortly after he was invited to play. (Thanks, Dom!)

I’m going to spend a few days with Dom, then a few days with Dave (the buddy I stayed with the first time I went,) and then a few days with Sam. All 3 live in different parts of London, and have different things they want me to see. I’m also planning on going on a 2 day trips, 1 which will take me to Stonehenge, The Windsor Castle, and The Roman Baths. I’m also going to do one that takes me to Stratford on Avon, where Shakespeare is from.

After my roughly 10 days in London, I’m heading to Scotland for a few days, then flying to Dublin. My favorite poet, William Butler Yeats lived in Dublin. My favorite poem of his is titled “The Wild Swans at Coole” and while unfortunately, I don’t think I’ll be able to make it all the way to Coole in a short time (or, affordably) I’m excited to see where he lived, and pay homage to one of the two writers to inspire me to become a writer.

From Dublin, I’m flying to Paris – by myself. I’m really excited about this bit. I don’t speak a word of French (Though my friend Ross did tell me how to say “I’m Canadian,” in case I get in any trouble.) I’m either going to starve to death or leave after a few days with a few phrases of French I know how to say.

And things are just STARTING to get exciting! After Paris I’m meeting up in Switzerland with my UofA travel buddy, Teri, and her friend Lauren. Teri being awesome planned this WHOLE trip, hostels and everything, and after doing all the hard work invited me to come along. I’m very grateful. From Switzerland, we’re going to Lictenstine, Vienna, Prague, Vineberg, Berlin, Bruges, Belgium; Brussels, Amsterdam, and then flying back to London and getting back to UEA.

I’m not risking bringing my laptop, so there won’t be any substantial posts while I’m gone. However, I’ll be hitting up internet Café’s to check my email so I’ll probably put up small ones. Every year for the past 4 years someone has invited me to do something really, really cool during spring break and I’ve had to turn it down because I didn’t have enough money. I told myself that it would pay off, because eventually I’d go on a trip SO MUCH COOLER that it’d be worth only getting to do once.

Well hot damn, I’m glad I kept THAT promise to myself, otherwise I’d have been pissed!

Baseball practices have been going well. We’ve got our first game @ North Hampton on Saturday. But, only 13 people can go. (Not totally understanding why, but it is indeed so.) So, tomorrow is our final evaluation practice, after which they will tell us who gets to travel to North Hampton and play for UEA and who has to stay home…

Conveniently, my catchers mask, glove, and batting gloves arrived in the mail today. (Thanks Dad!) So for our last evaluation practice, I get to look like hot shit and stop missing easy catches because of using a lousy glove.

Of course, I will let you know tomorrow whether or not I get picked to travel to North Hampton.

And with that, I leave you!

No comments: